Old October 7th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Richard Knoppow Richard Knoppow is offline

Default SP-600 from hell:need knobs, handles

"Brian Hill" wrote in message
news

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in
message

I will pass along a method of cleaning used at
Hewlett-Packard many years ago. We washed equipment sent
in for overhaul using a paint spray gun filled with warm
water and dishwashing detergent. This, along with a soft
brush, would remove most dirt and junk. Once washed the
equipment was rinsed off using a sprayer hose attachment
and dried in an electric oven for several days at about
130F. Remove anything that can be damaged by moisture,
meters for instance. We also found a high rate of failure
of hermetically sealed transformers and chokes. This is
counterintuitive but if the seal is leaky moisture can
get in and has a hard time getting out again despite the
baking. I don't know what effect this will have on the
ferrite cores in the SP-600, maybe none.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

You dont spray inside the cans. You gotta use your head. I
otta make a video.

BH

Well, you can seal off the holes the adjusters come out
of. I would take the cans off because they will trap
moisture.

--
---
Richard Knoppow