Old October 7th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave Heil Dave Heil is offline

Default Part D, Is the code requirement really keeping good people out?

From: on Tues, Oct 3 2006 3:25 pm

From: Nada Tapu on Sat, Sep 30 2006 2:23 pm
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:56:08 -0400, wrote:
Another thing outmoded is the strict "necessity" to use
a formalism in "procedure" AS IF it was "professional"
radio. That formalism was established between 50 to 70
years ago.
What "formalism" do you mean, Len?

1. The "official" 'Radiogram' form sold by the ARRL
for use in "official" message relay by amateurs.
Obvious play-acting AS IF the amateur relay was
by "official" means a la Western Union or similar
REAL telegraphic message. :-)

Why must the format be sold?

The format isn't sold at all. I'd think anyone who'd been a ham for a
year or two would have known that.

I read the words "formalism" and "form". I saw nothing about a format.

Is it copy righted?

The format? Why no, Brian. Use it all you like.

If I send a message
using THE FORMAT without purchasing the form, am I guilty of copyright
infringement?

Why no, Brian. I'd think just about any radio amateur would know that.
There are even software programs incorporating the radiogram format so
that you needn't write anything with a pencil or pen.

Other than reading about the amateur radio service in WWII, what does
Jim know about THE Service?

Jim knows nothing of military radio.

I suspect that Jim was an Extra in "Pump Up The Volume."

When you was LMR, Jim was VFR.

Maybe Jim wasn't VFR.

Jim is on CH16.

Jim is on CH19.

You can reach Jim at XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Yowsa!

Jim isn't involved in Gov't Radio. But he reads about it.

Jim's Giga Hurts.

I prefer smooth.

Jim once incorrectly calculated the distance to the moon. I think
maybe Coslo aided him with the calculations.

You should have gotten a QSL manager and with the greenstamps earned,
bought both sides of the QSO.

I suspect that Jim is subsidized in many ways.

Perhaps Jim will loan you some tube-type equipment ...

Jim insulted me. Jim insulted Hans. Jim insulted Mark. Jim insulted
Len.

Jim did not insult Dave who apparently thinks little of his service.

But, but, but he has greenlee punches...

Jim is a follower.

Owch!!!

I guess that was before the days of instant gratification.

Do they require greenlee punches?

Plans from a Ham Radio magazine.

He can post attrition numbers on hobby radio.

It is apparent that your red-hatted monkey routine survives.

Dave K8MN