Old October 7th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Chuck Harris Chuck Harris is offline

Default Check the SWR on your HF antenna's.

Slow Code wrote:

SC
Actually, just make a couple of contacts in any mode. Too many stations
sit unused week after week, month after month...

Top posting is a sign of inexperience. You are probably a newbie on the
net. Go to news.groups and read the FAQ on Usenet etiquette first. After
that, come back here and post properly and I will give you my call.

Actually top posting is a sign of *experience*. Us guys that were on the
internet back when it was run by darpa always top posted. That was because
we were running very slow lines, typically 110 to 300 baud, and it was desirable
not to have to wait through the down load of a dozen copies of the same quoted
material as we progressed through a thread. Bottom posting forced everyone on
the newsgroup to fully download every article waisting tons of our very limited
bandwidth and time. Top posting allowed you to get right to the meat of the
article in the first few seconds of downloading... and it allowed you the option
of continuing to footnotes if you really needed to.

You newbies have dozens of ways of trying to impose your will on the group.
Most of your so called rules of etiquette are simply you following the bottom
posting convention that was set up as a default on internet explorer. Rn,
trn, tin, and other premicrosloth news readers defaulted to top posting.

You are so spoiled by high bandwidth and large amounts of memory that you
think that a posting arrives at your machine in its full length instantly..
and for all practical purposes, it does.

I can go either way. I do, however, get very tired of having to scroll through
the same old quoted crap at the top of post after post... just to get to the bottom
and find the highly informative, but typical, "me too" tacked onto the end.

-Chuck