Old October 8th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] LenAnderson@ieee.org is offline

Default Ping Blow Code the pretend ham

From: Dave Heil on Sat, Oct 7 2006 5:40 am

wrote:

Big Brother of Newington will ruler-spank you.

Ho, ho! Beep, beep...

"FB, OM."

QRT.

"Roger who?"

etc., ...

Tsk, tsk, in the usual display of humorless unpleasantness,
Heil takes things out of context in order to attempt some
kind of humiliation of those he doesn't like. :-)

Here is the original exchange between Brian Burke and
myself, taken directly from very recent Google RRAP
newsgroup message storage:

From: on Thurs, Oct 5 2006 7:20 pm
From: on Tues, Oct 3 2006 3:25 pm
From: Nada Tapu on Sat, Sep 30 2006 2:23 pm
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:56:08 -0400, wrote:

1. The "official" 'Radiogram' form sold by the ARRL
for use in "official" message relay by amateurs.
Obvious play-acting AS IF the amateur relay was
by "official" means a la Western Union or similar
REAL telegraphic message. :-)

Why must the format be sold? Is it copy righted? If I send a message
using THE FORMAT without purchasing the form, am I guilty of copyright
infringement?

Big Brother of Newington will ruler-spank you.

2. The monotonic HI HI HI on voice to denote a 'laugh.'
Done with little or no inflection and hardly normal
to genuine laughter. [jargon from telegraphic
shorthand where inflection and tonality of real
laughter is not possible]

Hi, hi!

Ho, ho! Beep, beep...

3. Gratuitous signal level and readability "reports"
to other stations AS IF they were solidly received
when they are not.

You're 59, OM.

"FB, OM."

4. Carrying over many, many "Q" code three-letter
shorthands from telegraphy on voice where the plain
words would have worked just as well. Jargon use
has the appearance of being a "professional" service
but it is just jargon, a juxtaposition of short-hand
used in different modes.

QSL.

QRT.

5. The seeming inability to express anything but in a
flat monotone on voice, despite the subject (if any)
under discussion. Most of the time such voice
contacts seem devoid of the transmitting operator's
ability to convey any emotion beyond boredom.

Roger.

"Roger who?"

6. The over-use of call signs instead of legal names
in non-radio conversation, communication, and image
displays...AS IF the license grantee were a REAL
radio station or radio broadcaster.

Every 10 minutes.

"We now pause 10 seconds for official station identification."

7. The non-radio self-definition of a licensee as being
"federally authorized radio station (or operator or
both)." Elevation of self-importance beyond what the
amateur radio license GRANT is about.

10-4.

Roger that. Affirmative. Over and out.

8. The non-acceptance of the word "hobby" for the real
activity of radio amateurs AS IF they were somehow
a national service to the country.

Authenticate.

"Official"

9. The falsity of redefining the word "service" (amateur
radio service, were 'service' means a type and kind of
radio activity of all) into that "national service"
akin to anything from a para-military occupation to an
important "resource" that would always "save the day
when all other infrastructure communications services
'failed'."

Amateur Radio Service = GI Bill.

ARRL chief a member of Joint Chiefs of Staff.

10. The falsity of assuming that amateur radio is
PRIMARILY an "emergency" communications resource.
Regardless of the pomposity of many self-righteous
amateurs and thousands of words and redefinitions
written, the amateur radio service is still an
avocational radio activity done for personal
pleasure WITHOUT pecuniary compensation.

"Sorry Jim, MARS is Amateur Radio."

As Pluto went so may MARS...

Amateur radio is among the least formal radio services I know.

Besides listening-only to radio broadcasting service,
what DO you "know" about OTHER radio services?

Other than reading about the amateur radio service in WWII, what does
Jim know about THE Service?

He consults Pentagon library of morsemen.

You know NOTHING of military radio. You never served, never
worked with the military. I did both as a soldier and as a
civilian.

Jim knows nothing of military radio.

Except surplus he read about.

You know NOTHING about any form of broadcasting from the
transmitting end or even studio/location procedures and
technology. I've been involved with broadcasting at the
station end since 1956.

I suspect that Jim was an Extra in "Pump Up The Volume."

He not listed in SEG, Screen Extras Guild.

You know NOTHING of Public Land Mobile Radio Services, never
had one. I did.

When you was LMR, Jim was VFR.

CAVU...(Code Allatime Very Universal)

You know NOTHING of Aircraft Radio Service, protocal or
procedures, or of actual air-air or air-ground comms.
I've done that, both air-air and air-ground.

Maybe Jim wasn't VFR.

IFR. Intermittent Fantasy Regaler.

You know NOTHING of Maritime Radio Service, what goes on
and what is used. I've used it on the water, both in
harbors and inland waterways.

Jim is on CH16.

Hot water?

You MIGHT know something of Citizens Band Radio Service.
CBers out-number amateurs by at least 4:1, could be twice
that. I've been doing that since 1959.

Jim is on CH19.

10-4.

You MIGHT know something about Personal Communications
Radio Services other than CB (R-C is not strictly a
communications mode, it is tele-command)...such as a
cellular telephone. No "call letters," "Q" codes, or
radiotelegraphy are used with cell phones. One in three
Americans has one. Do you have one. I do.

You can reach Jim at XXX-XXX-XXXX.

He X rated now?

Too many olde-tymers want to PRETEND
they are pros in front of their ham rigs.

Not true, Len. We're amateurs

Don't you forget it.

Yowsa!

:-)

I have USED my COMMERCIAL radio operator license to operate
on FAR MORE EM SPECTRUM than is allocated to amateurs. LEGAL
operation. In most cases of such work NO license was required
by the contracting government agency. [the FCC regulates only
CIVIL radio services in the USA, NOT the government's use]

Jim isn't involved in Gov't Radio. But he reads about it.

Knows all. Allatime calls others "wrong."

When did YOU "legally" operate below 500 KHz? Have you EVER
operated on frequencies in the microwave region? [other than
causing 2.4 GHz EMI from your microwave oven] Have you
transmitted ANY RF energy as high as 25 GHz? I have
transmitted RF from below LF to 25 GHz. I have done that
since 1953...53 years ago.

Jim's Giga Hurts.

Let's take up collection to send him Preparation H.

What would you have me "take advantage of" in "good chunks"
of the EM spectrum? "Work DX at 10 GHz?!?" :-) :-) :-)

I prefer smooth.

Peanuts.

I've once "worked" 250,000 miles (approximately) "DX" with
a far-away station above 2 GHz but below 10 GHz. What have
YOU done above 3/4 meters? READ about it?

Jim once incorrectly calculated the distance to the moon. I think
maybe Coslo aided him with the calculations.

Coslonaut helped Giganaut.

Oh, yes, now you are going to "reply" with the standard
ruler-spank that I did not do that with "my own"
equipment. :-)

You should have gotten a QSL manager and with the greenstamps earned,
bought both sides of the QSO.

My bad. I QRK and QSY both.

Well, now YOU have a quandry. To use that stock "reply"
of yours you MUST define that the "taxpayer SUBSIDIZES"
anything of the government or contracted work by the
government. In your "logic" then, I really DO "own" that
equipment!

I suspect that Jim is subsidized in many ways.

Must be...he never subsides.

But, if you say I don't then you have to take back your
INSULT to all military servicemen and servicewomen that
they "receive a SUBSIDY from the taxpayer." I will NOT
"own that equipment" if you take that insult back.

Perhaps Jim will loan you some tube-type equipment ...

I have tubular capacitors for hollow-state things,
cathode ray tubes on a hot tin roof.

YOU don't think your remark was an "insult." You've tried
to rationalize your way out of that three ways from Sunday
since. Well then, I "do" "own" that equipment and did get
experience using "my own" equipment!

Jim insulted me. Jim insulted Hans. Jim insulted Mark. Jim insulted
Len.

Jim did not insult Dave who apparently thinks little of his service.

Is that why his Giga hurts?

YOU are NOT young, Jimmie. Face it. You've hit the
halfway mark and are downhill all the way since.
YOU are MIDDLE-AGED, growing older.

YOU never "pioneered radio" in your life. All you did
was try to fit in to the present...and then rationalized
by implication that you somehow did some "pioneering."

But, but, but he has greenlee punches...

He is punchy.

You imply that you are "superior" because of achieving
an amateur extra class license largely through a test
for morsemanship. Manual radiotelegraphy hasn't been
"pioneered" by you.

Jim is a follower.

Camp.

The transistor was invented in 1948 - 58 years ago.

1947. The PATENT wasn't granted immediately. :-)

Owch!!!

I guess that was before the days of instant gratification.

Also before instant oatmeal and regularity.

Amateurs were using
them in receivers and transmitters by the late 1950s.

Early. Like 1952. See QST or CQ (forget which) which
I saw at Fort Monmouth in that year. Transistors made
by Philco (?). Whatever it was, the transistors have
long been obsolete, out of production, replaced by
newer, better, cheaper types.

Do they require greenlee punches?

How about we give him nice Hawaiian Punch?

Come back when you've actually DESIGNED some solid-state
ham radio, not just assembled a kit designed by someone
else.

Plans from a Ham Radio magazine.

Prior to 1980...

Use those mighty collitch degrees, all that radio-
electronics "experience" in the "industry" to show us
what you can really do. :-)

He can post attrition numbers on hobby radio.

Cribbed from Joe Speroni's website...

======================== end message quote ====================

Taken IN CONTEXT the exchange (try reading it as the
spoken word) is amusing. Of course it is one-sided.
Of course it is sarcasm, but it is WRY sarcasm based
on years of one-sided smug arrogance of morsemen in
this newsgroup against all no-code-test advocates.
This newsgroup's amateurs allow very little objectivity
and the pro-coders insist on strict adherence to THEIR
opinions...and justify their attempts at humiliation
and insult of no-code-test advocates as being "their
right" or "for the good of ham radio" or other quaint,
uncivil, but invalid rationalizations. :-)

Heil did the same OUT OF CONTEXT "quoting" of Brian
Burke, adding in his pet phrase (which Heil says is
"not" a personal insult) of "red-hatted monkey."

Heil has his own pet phrase for me, of course "not"
a personal insult in His rationalizations:

The Old Organ Grinder, the man who is only here for CIVIL debate is
heard from.

Tsk, tsk. I *am* a civilian. :-)

I have ground pepper but never an organ. [I have
yet to be in Fargo, ND, and would not be there
playing with a chipper in the snow... :-) ]

When arguing with UNCIVIL pro-coders (such as Heil
and his out-of-context quoting uncivility) one cannot
be a polite "goody two-shoes" respondent. Especially
when the pro-coders are very concerned about
"sphincters." :-)