Old October 7th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default Here is how we can end all the silly antenna questions on the repeaters and on usenet.

Slow Code wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:
Slow Code wrote:
If we raise the CW speed to 20 WPM for all classes including the Tech
class, hams will tend to study the theory more while they build up
their code skill and they will understand the theory better and won't
need to ask silly questions. So increasing the speed requirement will
get us better & smarter hams.

Who is "we"?

FCC makes the rules. They're the ones who have to be convinced. For
more than 25 years, FCC has been convinced that the Amateur Radio
license exam requirements should be reduced. The changes have come a
little at a time, but the direction has been the same since the late
1970s.

I know, but we can send them emails and tell them we won't go for anymore
dumbing down or simplification.

That's not how it works. What does "we won't go for anymore dumbing
down or simplification" mean, specifically? Those terms mean nothing to
FCC - they want specifics.

For example, you might consider the reduction of the General and Extra
to 5 wpm to be "dumbing down". But way back in 1990, FCC made those
licenses available with just 5 wpm code and a medical waiver. FCC has
said, publicly, that they see no difference between medically-waivered
"5 wpm" hams and those who passed 13 and 20 wpm when it comes to
enforcement issues. How do you respond to that argument?

Way back in the early 1980s, a president with initials RR was elected
in part on the promise to "get government off your back". That
translated to less regulation and simpler regulation, as well as less
money for "legacy" government agencies like FCC. So they have gone for
simpler and easier ever since.

They'll do what they want, but at least
we tried.

Did you comment on the recent Notices of Proposed Rulemaking? Or the
various proposals that FCC accepted comments on?

That's how FCC accepts input.

And when the various proposals have been presented, the majority of
those commenting support Morse Code testing, and relevant written
testing.

But they aren't an overwhelming majority. 55% is about the max.

And FCC doesn't have to do what the majority wants. They decide what to
do based on a whole bunch of factors. Comments are only one factor.