Old October 9th 06, 01:52 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,ba.broadcast,alt.internet.radio,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.swap
D Peter Maus D Peter Maus is offline

Default Tuned In Radio Is For Sale!!!!!!!

Barry OGrady wrote:

Did you know Australia used to have sealed radios? When a person bought a sealed
radio the radio was set to their chosen station and sealed. No user tuning was allowed.
Part of the purchase price of the radio went to the buyers chosen station.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

We had similar radios in the US. Usually as promotional gifts from
the stations themselves. The station would give them away as contest
prizes, Club Member premiums. They were tuned to the station, and were
not user changeable without opening the case, and only then, if you knew
what you were doing. Some had sealed RF/IF stages. Some were potted.
Some just had a hidden tuning wheel inside the case.

Most, but not all, were FM receivers.

They kind of fell out of favor when FM penetration started to peak,
and formats began to flip like carps on the boardwalk.

I still have mine from KMOX-FM, St Louis, in the late 60's/early 70's.

Unlike the sets in The Village, however, it did have an off switch.

And a volume control.