Old October 13th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Slow Code Slow Code is offline

Default Is a contact with a no-code ham a real QSO?

"U-Know-Who" wrote in
:

"Slow Code" wrote in message
ink.net...
Papa Dog wrote in
:

In article . net,
says...
Papa Dog wrote in
:

In article . net,
says...
Phil Wheeler wrote in
:

AC7PN wrote:
Slow Code wrote:
Or is it like talking to someone on CB?

SC

The answer is "yes it is a real contact" and so far as you
were communicating with some one using a radio it also is "like
talking to someone on CB."

Dude, your arrogance is showing.

I would have said ignorance

73, Phil W7OX

Don't tell me You want to dumb down ham radio now as well. Where
have all the communicators gone?

SC

Any 12 year old can learn code in 2 weeks. Getting rid of it would
not dumb down Ham radio at all. Code is a good thing to know.
Whether you use it or not is a personal preference. I think
programming you're own software to send code yourself and building
your own radio is a lot more technical than learning code.

73

Chris

But people don't want to be skilled at anything anymore. They don't
want to make an effort to learn CW, they may not make an effort to
learn other things to advance themselves technically either.

SC

If a 12 year old can learn it I don't consider it much of a technical
skill. Nothing at all technical about CW. Building a transmitter,
now that takes somw technical know how.

Chris

Well if it's not a problem to learn, let's keep the requirement and
raise it to 13WPM. It's a bit boring doing code at 5 words per minute,
and at 13 WPM you can copy someones call for help almost three times as
fast.

SC

Name one real/valid/probable scenario for this. Let me guess, you crash
land on the moon, have only a D-cell battery, some wire, a butter knife,
happen to find some crystals, some silicon, somehow beyond your
knowledge or abilities, manage to build a transmitter, and send your SOS
back to Earth. Is that about right? Nah, you'd die trying to make it
iambic.

That's terrible logic.

You sound like you would be the sort of person people see along side a
highway with a flat tire and no spare.

SC