Old October 15th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
homepc homepc is offline

Default What rechargeables?

Generally, D size alkaline batteries last a long time, so getting the
rechargeable version isn't cost effective. AA size alkaline batteries on
the other hand, run down much faster, so getting the NiMH rechargeable
version is a good idea for some applications. Keep in mind, that
rechargeable batteries run down in just a few weeks or sooner after a full
charge, even if they are not being used. AA NiMH rechargeables are good for
smaller electronics that use a lot of juice in a short period of time.

If you do get a NiMH battery charger, be sure to get a "smart" charger that
will monitor each battery separately during the charge.

I got this model charger to use with my Degen radios:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs.htm

"wavetrapper" wrote in message
oups.com...
John,

My guess is that you will get very good battery life on that radio with
alkaline D cells.
Unless you have many devices that run on D cells, I think it would be
hard to justify the expense of the cells plus a dedicated charger.

On the other hand, with so many devices running on AAs, I think most
people can easily justify a few sets of quality NiMH AA cells and
charger. Just about all of my high use AA devices are on rechargeables
now. After a while, you figure out which devices need/prefer the
higher voltage of alkalines. As you probably know, rechargeables are
rated at 1.25 v usually vs. the 1.5 of alkaline. Devices that are
going to sit for long periods of time between uses are not good
candidates for rechargeables.

For what its worth, I have invested in AA and AAA rechargeables and
stuck with alkaline in the bigger size cells (C and D).

The numbers stand for milliamp hours. So the higher, the better. AA
NiMH rechargeables are in the 2600-2800 range now which puts them very
close to being on par with alkaline. From what I can tell, D cell
NiMH's aren't nearly as close yet.

Stick with NiMH. NiCad is older technology and has been pretty much
replaced by NiMH.

Here is a good U.S. distributor of cells. I know you are in S. Africa,
but you can learn a good bit by reading the website, etc.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/r...-batteries.php

Russ K3Pi

John Plimmer wrote:
I recently got a Redsun RP2100, the users view of which I previously
posted
on this group.
It has the facility to use rechargeable batteries, something of which I
know
nothing about.
It will charge these batteries for twelve hours.
I want to use "D" cells but don't know which rechargeables to buy.
My local store can order me NiCad's or NiMH - I don't know anything about
that.
What's the difference?

Also there are different numbers like 1500 or 2500 which seems to mean
how
long they hold the charge.
I would be grateful for advice from you highly knowledgeable fella's as
what I should buy.
As they seem to be very expensive, perhaps I should just stick to
ordinary
batteries and forget about the rechargeables?
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, POARDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx