Old October 18th 03, 04:48 AM
CW

You have to be careful about listening to store personnel about things like
this. Most don't have a clue but instead of telling you that, they make
something up. In this case: clueless. Any antenna that Radio Shack now
carries is a waste of money (they discontinued the good ones). The Terk is a
good antenna. It requires no connection to the radio. It works by induction.
Sit it close to your radio and tune it. It does have a provision to be able
to connect it to the radio but there is no need and often works poorly that
way. Due to the considerable gain the GE has already, an external antenna
will help very little if at all.Your best bet is to get near a window. It is
the steel frame of the office building that blocks the signal. Another
option is to run a wire out the window. I have not been able to determine
that the external antenna screws are actually hooked to anything. I tried a
seventy foot wire on mine one time with no difference whatsoever. Another
option (again, if you can run a wire outside or at least near a window) is
the Justice am antenna sold by C. Crane. It is a small unit that mounts
remotely and coax is run to your radio. The connection to your radio is by
induction so there is no physical connection. Thos who I have talked to that
have tried it say that it works quite well and it would undoubtedly solve
your problem if you could get it next to or outside a window. The down side
is it costs about $100.00.

"Jim" wrote in message
m...
I'm sorry, probably a very novice question here, but I'm a novice. :-)
Just trying to pull in a very weak AM station signal in an office
building, and wanting to connect an external antenna to my GE Super