Old October 17th 06, 04:47 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Rick Frazier Rick Frazier is offline

Default What Is Ham Radio?......The FAQ

Well, in my part of the world, and the parts I can talk to lately, the
most negative issues around "ham radio" are on the internet newsgroups,
not on the airwaves. It is unfortunate that anyone would take the
rantings and attacks of the few obviously "impaired" individuals that
continually post crap in the newsgroups, as something that is indicative
of the general state of "Radio Hammery". As with any human endeavor,
there will always be some bad apples, and in usenet newsgroups, there is
absolutely NO filter to keep out the people who wish to disrupt everyone
else. At least not yet. Someday, when we all pay for our posts (it's
coming, believe me) and we all digitally sign our posts to ensure we are
who we say we are, then maybe we'll have civility and normalcy come back
to the newsgroups. Until then, at least, the comraderie and decency of
true hams will still shine out on the air, in good times and during
emergencies, and we will all be seen for what we are, not what a few
whackos would like you to believe we are turning into....

Thanks
--Rick AH7H

If M3 is the answer, it's a silly question! wrote:
A necessary preface.....

(It is becoming increasingly difficult to fly the flag for
decency and for civilised behaviour in Radio Hammery. Even
the Usenet newsgroups dedicated to the cause have degenerated
into a hotbed of abusive onslaughts by those who ought to know
better; the Nugatory Numpties who boast of an interest
exceeding 10, 20, 30, 40 or even 50 years and yet who have
proved themselves incapable of even meeting the trivial exam
standards set for 6-year-olds. However, there still exists
the fundamental basis on which Ham Radio is based, and
that will never die. This FAQ ("What Is Ham Radio?") will
be regularly published and will not be shouted or bullied
down. It is important that those of a technical bent, who
are the natural seed-corn of Radio Hammery and who
gravitate towards us to be the real novitiate, can
still find us, (and know that we are still here), their fellows.)

---snip----