Old January 4th 04, 07:10 PM
Michael Black

"Jim Chumbley" ) writes:
This is my only concern:

These are the questions being raised by Mr. Mustapa:
a.) Can you use a linear amplifier on transmit or receive or both?
b.) Can someone help [me] on the software (ADMS-2H) for "programming"
the Yaesu FT-8900R?

These are not the questions of an experienced ham or of someone in the
process of learning technology so as to become a new ham. I have been an
Elmer for 30 years and have never heard thoughts like these being voiced. In
private emails Mr. Mustapa sent to me--to which I did not reply--he thinks
that my concern is about technical questions and conversations being carried
on by someone who is not a ham. This is absolutely not the case. Before any
of us was a ham we learned from someone, probably a ham. That's part of the
purpose, I hope, of this newsgroup. On that we can all agree.

No, my concern is that if questions like these are being asked by a non-ham,
what is his purpose in learning answers to technical questions like these.

I am afraid. I am very afraid.

I have been so ever since 9/11/2001, the date the World Trade Center was
destroyed in New York City.
[stuff deleted]

I've not been following this, so I don't know what the guy asked exactly
in the first place. But those two questions as you pose them at the
beginning really have nothing to do with terrorism.

They are very similar to questions we see all the time; people wanting to
use ham equipment out of band (and that includes people who are indeed
licensed hams and should know better), and absolute novices who have no
interest in amateur radio but want a solution without any knowledge of
licensing requirements, and people wanting to do things like pirate
broadcast radio.

Maybe he original message indicated something more. But as you present
it, there is nothing there.

Except for the name he is posting under, which doesn't even have to be
his real name.

And from that information, it strikes me that you are commenting based
on his name, not on what he is asking.

People can be clueless no matter what their name, so I don't think
it's fair to read something into this based on his name. Indeed,
if this was what the guy was up to, I'd expect him to use a name
that wouldn't stick out. I could argue that someone might have picked
the name precisely because they figure it will trigger someone like
you, that it's as bogus as so many other names people use in the newsgroups.

Michael VE2BVW