Old January 5th 04, 04:35 PM
Joshua G Senecal

Default Laptop Batteries for QRP Power?

Hi All,

In thinking about a power source for my recently acquired DSW-40, I
realized that the Lithium-Ion batteries in my laptop (PowerBook G4) might
be an ideal solution: small, plenty of power, within the DSW-40's power
requirements (14.1V), and I don't need to buy a charger--I can just use
the laptop.

Has anyone used laptop batteries for powering their gear? And if so, will
you offer some practical advice/tips on using them? I'm concerned that
there may be some difficulties, because modern laptop batteries aren't
just power cells; there's some control circuitry and whatnot in there too.

Thanks!

-Josh, AE6IQ
--

Remove the reversed "nospam" in the address.