Old October 19th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Slow Code Slow Code is offline

Default Question for the group. Mainly new hams.

gwatts wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:
gwatts wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:

gwatts wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:

What do you like best about appliance operating?

All the crotchety old farts are either off somewhere
beep-beep-beeping away on CW or bitching to each other on the lower
half of the 80m phone band, so it's easy to avoid them and talk to
someone who enjoys ham radio as it is instead of whining about how it
was.

Big Ten-Four on that Good Buddy.

It sounds like you run a lot of 11m, not surprising considering how
much you whine, and it's not alternator whine.

I only typed like because I knew you would understand that style of
communicating. So, after your license came in the mail what I
appliance did you decide to buy? MFJ? Alinco? Cobra?

Kenwood TS-820S. I got a good deal because it had a few bugs. I spent
some of the evenings between the exam session and my ticket arriving
(that would be my GENERAL ticket, I skipped Novice and Technician) going
through it cleaning switches, adding ground straps to a couple circuit
boards and adding 17m to the 'AUX' position on the band switch. By the
time my ticket arrived in the mail it was ready. I worked Clipperton
Island the second day I was on the air and didn't realize it was quite
the DX catch until months later.

So, after your license came in the mail what did you start weenie
whining about first?

W8LNA

I made a lot of contacts on CW. I knew it was what I had to do to be a
valuable asset to the service and I had a lot of fun communicating with
other CW ops around the world. I was always surprised at how good the
Russians were at CW. Doing CW helped me get get my skills up and I
quickly passed my 20 wpm Extra. (the real Extra)

Now I try to help other hams and potential hams on radio and on usenet,
but the usenet hams are so lazy they don't want to learn anything. They
want licensing to be dumbed down some more.

SC