Old October 21st 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.ham-radio.hf
David G. Nagel David G. Nagel is offline

Default Hf Antenna Question

Chris W wrote:
I have been looking at the MFJ-1622 antenna. Part of the instructions
for antenna set up, which you can find here....
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/man/pdf/MFJ-1622.pdf
say to roll up about 30 feet of coax into a 12" diameter coil. This
they label as a choke. This just seems like a "duct tape" solution to
me. Is there a better way to accomplish the same thing? Would a few
ferrite beads on the coax do the trick or do I just have no idea what I
am talking about?

P.S. please check out my new Ham Radio Repeater Database web site.
http://hrrdb.com

Chris;

Your best choke is about 30 feet of coax rolled up into a 12" coil.

This is not a duct tape solution but one that has been used for
decades. It is the cheapest and easiest choke you can use. Others are
better but not easier.

Dave WD9BDZ