Old October 21st 06, 10:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.ham-radio.hf
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Hf Antenna Question

"David G. Nagel" wrote in message
Chris W wrote:
I have been looking at the MFJ-1622 antenna. Part of the instructions
for antenna set up, which you can find here....
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/man/pdf/MFJ-1622.pdf
say to roll up about 30 feet of coax into a 12" diameter coil. This they
label as a choke. This just seems like a "duct tape" solution to me. Is
there a better way to accomplish the same thing? Would a few ferrite
beads on the coax do the trick or do I just have no idea what I am
talking about?

P.S. please check out my new Ham Radio Repeater Database web site.
http://hrrdb.com

Chris;

Your best choke is about 30 feet of coax rolled up into a 12" coil.

This is not a duct tape solution but one that has been used for decades.
It is the cheapest and easiest choke you can use. Others are better but
not easier.

Dave WD9BDZ

I agree that the coiled up coax is a good way to go. As far as cheapest ,
with the price of good rg-8 size coax the cost is now about the same as the
ready made chokes with the beads on them. If you factor in the cost of a
ready made center insulator for a dipole the cost could be more. Also 30
feet of coax can be another heavy weight to support.