Old October 21st 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.ham-radio.hf
jawod jawod is offline

Default Hf Antenna Question

It's hard to beat stacked ferrite
toroids of differing materials as a foundation for an
excellent all-HF-band 1:1 choke-balun. I know of no
single balun that can cover 7 MHz to 148 MHz well.
1/2WL self-resonance defeats the choking action when
trying to cover 4+ octaves.

Can you direct me to more good information (as in NOT sales literature)
about ferrites and toroids as choke baluns?

The ARRL Handbook mentions the use of 1:1 baluns on p. 21.16
(Transmission Lines):
For 3.5 to 30 MHz, the recommended choke is 10 ft and 7 turns using
RG-8, 58, 59,8X and 213 (I don't think I've even heard of the last two)

W2DU has a 50 bead balun over RG-303.

As you may recall, I am using a homemade G5RV and I simply connected
RG-8 directly to the ladderline portion. I can see this connection
right out my window (2nd floor shack). I am unaware of any significant
problems as it is. Should I consider using one of these methods and
re-do my antenna?

Thanks for being one of the experts that doesn't talk down to the "rest
of us".

John
AB8O