Old October 22nd 06, 09:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner
Opus- Opus- is offline

Default Is the code requirement really keeping good people out of ham radio?

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:28:34 -0400, Dave spake
thusly:

wrote:

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 08:58:09 -0400, Dave wrote:

Not dropped here.

Even 9 year olds can learn the code.

some can maening it is worhtless and unneeded for the rest

Barry OGrady wrote:

Not since it was dropped completly 3 years ago.

"Worthless and Unneeded"? That was NOT the question!! Learn to answer the
question! READ THE SUBJECT LINE.

No one asked whether it is useful, it absolutely is, the question is: is it
"keeping good people out of ham radio?"

NOPE!!!

Sorry, but I can say for an absolute fact that your 're wrong. It had
kept me out of ham radio and I know exactly what kind of person that I
am. And before the obligatory "lazy" word is trotted out, I have to
work for the pay cheque that buys the radio, pays the rent for the
building that the radio is in and pays for the tower that is in the
back yard. I have to work extra to pay MORE for a place where I am
allowed a tower, as opposed to less expensive digs.

Honestly, I can't believe how some pro-coders look down on no-coders
with such contempt. I was once a member of a "live steam" model
railroad club. These were larger model steam trains that ran with real
steam instead of electric power. They could be run with either propane
or coal, depending on the individual. The guys who built their
locomotives from scratch NEVER looked down on the guys who bought
theirs from a classified ad. The guys burning coal did NOT call the
propane guys "lazy". We all enjoyed a fine hobby and club meetings
were always good fun and most informative. It was great for a
mechanic, like myself, to rub shoulders with experienced retired
machinists who built these locomotives. At one of our "open houses",
which were located outdoors at the club track, my daughter took her
first steps.

Isn't ham radio supposed to be like that? Is there no camaraderie?