Old October 23rd 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default 10 meter mobile antenna

All those commercial antennas will work better at thinning your wallet.
But not at getting your signal out. The only way you'd improve over the
signal from a cut-down CB whip (2 minutes work with a hacksaw) is to
either make the antenna directional in azimuth which would decrease the
signal in other directions, or try making a collinear array. And I
seriously doubt that you could get any noticeable gain from a collinear
without making it too tall to be practical.

I'm glad that some hams are still willing to reach for the hacksaw
instead of the wallet. Go for it!

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Dave wrote:
Have you heard of a 10 meter mobile antenna??

Hamstix, Hustler, et al make them. Lot easier than trying to cut steel.

Merlin-7 KI4ILB wrote:

I just bought a 10 meter mobile rig (25 watt old radio shack rig).

I was planing on cutting down a 102" CB whip to 10 meter band.

Anyone know of any type of antenna that would work better?

Thanks
Joe
KI4ILB