Old October 23rd 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default 10 meter mobile antenna

Dale Parfitt wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Have you heard of a 10 meter mobile antenna??

Hamstix, Hustler, et al make them. Lot easier than trying to cut steel.

Yeah, that should take all of a couple of minutes.
W4OP

I could probably torch that bugger off in about 15 seconds.. :/
Might look kinda funky on the tip though. I agree. What is
has is about as good as he's going to get. As long as it's
grounded to the car well, preferably on the body somewhere,
it's going to work great. Any other whip is probably going to
be inferior as far as a 1/4 design. But it is possible for a roof
mounted half size whip to equal a full 1/4 wave with a lower
or poor ground. I'd use a bumper mount as a last resort.
A side body mount with a ball mount, or even trunk mount
would work a lot better. That whip on a roof would brown the
food. Not very practical though as far as trees and drive thru's.
A trunk mount is possible though. Heck, my mobile antenna
is way tall. But I don't really care about looks much.. I recently
bought a third small car to save gas when I don't need to drive
the trucks. I put it's antenna mount on the trunk lid with reinforced
plating underneath to keep from ripping the trunk lid apart.
Hondas have thin sheet metal... :/ My 11 foot antenna would flex
that thing like crazy with no plating underneath. Wouldn't last
3 hours before I ripped a hole in the trunk. I had to do the same
with a monte carlo I once drove.
MK