Old October 19th 03, 01:18 AM
Reg Edwards

Dear Ian, please forgive me. The twists and contortions in your use of the
English language are too involved for me unravel. No useful purpose would be
served.

However, between us, you HAVE contributed to an excellent demonstration of
the nonsensical mess which occurs when standing waves, reflection
coefficients, conjugate matches, virtual thingammies, Cecil's guaranteed
environments, etc, etc, are dragged in in futile attempts to explain what
goes on on that most simple imaginable of all connections between the
transmitter output and that so-called SWR meter.

It is not, as you imply, a trivial derisory matter to get yourself off the
hook. However you are in good company. For many years it has mis-informed
and confused newcomers, CB-ers, genuine students, and has obstructed
education in general about understanding the operation and adjustment of
antenna systems. And the eminent 'guru's' have managed successfully to
mis-inform and confuse themselves as evidenced by the incessant squabbling
on this newsgroup.

Fortunately, with radio, any bloody thing will work, even if you DON'T, as
you should, use 50-ohm coax between Tx and TLI. It's not likely to blow up
your transistorised PA. ;o)

Incidentally, if you DO use 75-ohm coax because you just happen to have a
reel of it lying around, then do as I did with one of my ancient home-brew
transeivers and use a 75-ohm TLI. Just change the setting of one preset
resistor or capacitor in a 50-ohm model. As you say, it's only a 3-arm
bridge !

Swap the connections to the little toroidal current transformer and you have
a crude thru-power meter PROVIDED the Tx load really is 50-ohms.. Forget
about reflected power - which nobody wants to know anyway - its scale has
no more use or meaning than that for the defunct SWR. Try the typist's
white stuff.

"Carry on London. Sweet violets."
----
Regards from a Californian-Wine-imbibing Italian Clown. ;o) ;o) ;o) ;o)
;o) ;o)
----
For Free Radio Design Software
go to http://www.g4fgq.com