Old January 12th 04, 04:29 PM
Steve Nosko

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...
Backgrounder: Where can one get a decent (i.e., robust)
general-purpose automotive cigarette lighter plug/tap? [..snip..]

(c) Ignoring the fuse ratings how many amps can auotomotive cigarette
TNX a bunch, Brian W3RV

Brian,
Did you see the one at Radio Shack which looks very much like the one you
describe? The binding posts are not full size, but the construction is
above average. I bought one and think it is...well I'll say ok. It says 10
amps if I recall & If you believe it. It looked better than anything else I
saw and I thought would be ok for moderate loads up to, oh, I don't know 6-8
amps is my guess.

Also note that the newest "power connectors" that look like cig-lighter
recepticles have a rating posted right there. I don't remember what my van
says. I think (but don't hold me to it) mine says 180 watts total for both
of them (One in rear too) -- about 12 amps.

The real cig lighter can't supply much and I have had one go south with a 25
W mobile. It was dropping quite a bit of voltage causing a low rumble on
the FM TX so that it confused the repeater CTSS decoder. Took a while to
figure out--it "reparied" itself interestingly enough with no intervention
from me. I since went to the battery and more powerful rig.

--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.