Old October 26th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
james james is offline

Default 11 meter quad beam

On 26 Oct 2006 11:04:49 GMT, Steveo wrote:

+++Yeah I was looking at the JO GUNN STAR and comparing it to the Maco Comet.
+++The comet is lighter and less expensive but I don't know about durability.
+++The 3 + 3 has a bit better rejection and gain numbers, if they're to be
+++believed.

****************

Steveo

I used an antenna like the Star back in the 70's called a Gizmotchy. I
had a four element version. One thing that that beam had was a very
deep null at about 120 degrees both sides from the front. Easily knock
down a signal 6 or 7 S units no trouble. Had the top of the driven
element at about 36 feet and it worked very well ground wave. I could
talk with 5 watts easily here in Florida 100 miles just about every
night.

The Star has a bit unbelievable rejection numbers. Still the design
does not appear to be a bad one from what I can determine by looking
at the pictures and limited description. From the boom length of the 4
element and three element designs it seems to be somewhat similar to
what I had. My 4 element was on a 13 foot boom. It could have been on
a slightly shorter boom.

james