Old January 15th 04, 04:20 AM
Ed G.

I have a number of rechargable nicad batteries 4.400 amp hour and 7.0
amp hour.. 1.25 volts..

I need some information about the ic equipment which I can't seem to
find in the manual...
In the manual the d.c. input reads 12 volts...

Can someone tell me what the safe upper limit of these radios tend to
be?

I don't plan to come anywhere need the upper limit but I would perfer
to make a battery pack containing 12 x 1.25 volt cells rather than
11 cells.

A fully charged NiCd battery, in good condition, usually tops out about
1.4 volts. If you charge up a string of 12 batterier, this will reach
about 16.8 volts; definitely has the potential to damage your radio.

Even a string of 11 can be fully charged to 15.4 volts.... still risky
to your radio. If I had no other battery options, I'd go with a string
of 10. Fully charged they'll reach 14.0 volts, and probably rapidly drop
to 12 volts (1.2 nominal volts per cell) shortly after you begin using
them. This is a bit on the low side, but at least safer.

Personally, I'd go with a nice Lead Acid type 12 volt battery. Your
4AH cells are way too low current capability for that IC735
Transmitter,anyway.

Ed WB6SAT