Old October 28th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default Large Wire Antenna for 17m

Alan Taylor wrote:

Alan Taylor wrote:
I have some space and some high trees. I already use a 400ft doublet with
atu for several bands and a 30m half square and get good results. I want
to improve my performance on 17m. I am now thinking about a wire
antenna with reasonable performance for 17m only. I have thought about a
full wave loop, even a bobtail. A broadside array would be great but I
am not keen on antennas with reflectors or directors because of the
complexity of support ropes. So, really some kind of antenna supported by
ropes from two trees would be ideal. Any ideas please?

Alan VK6BN

The EDZ is the easiest I suppose. About 5.1 dbi/3dbd if I remember
right.
You could run two half wave dipoles, spaced a half wave apart
with rope. Feed in phase. Also good for about 3dbd. The lazy H
antennas could be run between two trees. Too bad you can't run a
yagi. That what you really need.. Or at least the most bang for it's
size,
and it can be steered. Also, I guess you could run a larger franklin
type
array. IE: 3 or more 1/2 wave elements. BTW, you also can use
"extended"
lazy H type arrays where the elements are EDZ length. Gives more gain
than the usual 1/2 wave lengths.
MK