Old October 29th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Slow Code Slow Code is offline

Default Question for the group. Mainly new hams.

Chuck Harris wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote in

I would bet that the person flashing SOS knows little, or no morse
code other than SOS.

This, as an argument for hams using CW, is kind of like "mayday" being
an argument for hams being conversant in French.

-Chuck

Spoken like a true "I-Hate-CW" Whiner. Why you even worried about it
anyway, you don't even have a welfare license.

Actually, I have held an advanced class ticket for more than 30 years.

I took my test at 1919 M Street, NW? Washington, DC. Under the watchful
eye of an FCC examiner. My code test came off of an old signal corps
paper tape driven code practice machine. The key they gave me to use
was from the same set.

My receiving speed was somewhere around 40wpm, and my sending sucks
rope. I never could master an Iambic keyer.

-Chuck

Once you master the electronic key you'll wonder how you ever got by
without one. I used a straight key for years and then got an electronic
one. It made code more fun. I tried a bug once, but after using the
electronic key I lost my timing on the side to side stuff.

One thing for sure in the maritime story above, someone did know morse,
and the rescuers probably weren't going to wait for a full message after
the sos. they would start the rescue right away, they didn't need to see a
message.

SC