Old October 30th 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
[email protected] do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com is offline

Default best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

63Avanti wrote:

I am getting my vintage AM/FM Delco reconditioned with the intent of
getting that "cruis'n feeling" I will also add non-vintage sound
deadening, and other electrical/static improvements noted here and
elsewhere. Thanks for the help.

In the sixties, I was always changing ignition cables attempting to
minimize "ignition buzz" on my radio. (not really a problem since
the mid-70s). Back then, I found one type that worked ok, but I
cannot find it any more. (

What "TYPE" of ignition wiring for maximum should I get for my Avanti
(with modern electronic distributor) R2?

There are only 2 types of RF supression wi resistive and inductive.
The latter is often referred to as "magnetic" and is widely available,
but it doesn't seem to work any better than the resistive type. A
significant amount of igniton noise comes from the connection between
the plug and the plug wire, and grounded metal shields over the boots
can help here. There are wire kits with these boots, mostly for German
cars, or they can be made with metal tubing slipped snugly over the
metal bases of the plugs.