Old October 30th 06, 08:41 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner
Alun L. Palmer Alun L. Palmer is offline

Default CW-forever Guys are gonna go balistic!

wrote in
ups.com:

Alun L. Palmer wrote:
Slow Code wrote in news:6tgXg.8071$Y24.103
@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

"Iitoi" wrote in
ink.net:

80M and 40M phone band expansion

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-06-149A1.doc

I don't know if we'll get Mad right away but it's clear the FCC and
the ARRL want to drive all good hams out of the service. Little by
little they'll take away the non-phone portions of the bands and
hand it over to the phone users. Like a frog in a pot of water
that's raised to boiling point, one day us real hams will find we
have to place to communicate on the ham bands that doesn't sound
like Citizens Band.

SC

Here's a reality check.

On 80m the rest of the world, except Canada, has always had phone down
to 3600 as far back as I can remember, and we are merely joining them.
The VE phone ops still have to stay above 3700, I think.

On 40m the international bandplans have phone down to 7040 except in
Region 3 where it is 7030. The only countries that I know of where you
can't use phone down to 7040 are Mexico (7050) and the USA (now 7125
after the change).

US hams outside Region 2 have had phone down to 7075 for years, and I
am on record as suggesting that we should have that in the mainland
US. It's hard to see why not when you actually look at what the rest
of the world is doing.

At the same time countries in Region 1 aren't supposed to get access
to 7100-7200 until the middle of 2007. Many of them already have, but
for those that haven't, a phone subband that goes down to 7125 still
doesn't even reach the top edge of their whole band. Doubtless some of
them will be late in implementing the extra spectrum, so forced split
working will drag on a while longer.

Alun you've been dumping this old whine into the groups for years now
and it's long since worn out. Not that it needs to be explained to you
*again* but the FCC is *protecting* the dx from the hordes of Yanks who
would obliterate the dx if we were allowed to run SSB below 7100.

Dee also explaned it in her immediately preceeding post, read it, give
us a break and internalize it this time then go find something new to
grouse about for the next five years. Maybe by then your chums in the
UK will be able to transceive with you above 7125.

How would you like it if your 40m CW allocation were on frequencies
that were off limits to the DX?

The difference is all about one SSB signal taking up the same amout of
spectrum space as 5-10 CW signals.

On 20m and 15m we still have 50 kHz less phone on each band than all
other countries. Although General and Advanced got bigger phone
subbands on 15 (as well as 80 and 40), the bottom edge of phone didn't
move on 15 (or 20).

73 de Alun, N3KIP

(20wpm Extra, 100% phone op)

There's your real problem.

w3rv

I can work the UK on 40 phone now without going split. They can use 7040-
7200 now. OTOH, who knows when the broadcasters will ever move?

It's a complete crock about protecting the DX. The answer for ragchewers
has always been to use a band that isn't open to where you want to be
protected from, i.e. don't ragchew on an open band unless you want DX
(meaning in this case US hams) to ask to join the QSO (some actually like
it when that happens, you know). It's not really hard for them to find a
band that isn't open to the US.