Old October 31st 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Merlin-7 KI4ILB Merlin-7 KI4ILB is offline

Default 160 meter antenna pros and cons

Thanks everyone.
I will be changeing my QTH next summer but was trying to get up something
for 160.
My back lot has enough room (and trees) to place 1 side of the dipole from
my tower. It would need to have a bend in it to make it fit but it is
possible.
The front of the house is a problem, theres nothing there but the power
lines...
Is it possible to put a slinkie on just one side of the dipole or would I
need to make both sides exactly the same?
I could wrap a lot of wire around something (with the loops spaced apart a
bit) on one or both sides of the dipole.
I am just trying to get up something for 160 for 9 months or so.

The fan dipole I have up now is about 66 feet long (each side from the
tower) 66tower66.

I do not know what would happen if I ran the 160m dipole 70 feet or so and
bent the ends in the same direction (towards the back yard)

My back yard is 120' by75' (the fan dipole I have up is at an angle) The
tower (feed point) is in the middle of the 120'side 75' from the back of the
lot.

Any ideas? It will only be up for 9 months or so...
Thanks
Joe