Old November 1st 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jimmie D Jimmie D is offline

Default Coax Crimp Tool Recommendation?

"Dave" wrote in message
Solder??

Danny Richardson wrote:

Looking for suggestions for a good crimp tool for installing coax
connectors. It will primarily for BNC connectors on RG-174, 58 and 59
cables. Although the RG-8 cable family capability would be nice too. I do
wish to avoid being a captive customer in that brand X crimp tool
only works well with brand X connectors.

And, of course, looking for the best bank for the buck.

Thanks,

Danny

I agree, unless you do a lot of connectors soldering is the best way to go.
It doesnt take long at all to get proficent at making good soldered on
connections. Crimp on connections can look good but be awful. A few years a
go a guy installed some equipment at work that had over 30 BNC connections.
He got an award for the installation and I got 50 hrs of overtime for going
back and really making it work right. Most of the work was repairing the
crimp on BNC connectors.. The problem with the connections, he used a crimp
tool that was about worn out.