Old November 1st 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
jawod jawod is offline

Default two topics one OT and one not

I recently posted regarding an antenna that Roy, W7EL designed back in
the 80's for backpacking (FD Special: directional array). I was a
little disappointed at no response but such is life.

Any thoughts as to whether this is a good approach to a home QTH antenna?

I was considering reconfiguring it for 17 meters and trying EZNEC for
the first time (if I can get the program to work on my new MacBook).

The antenna (20M version) consists of two elements separated by about 8
feet and the ends connected to a PVC pipe for support on each end
---[======]---

The antenna is 300 ohm twin lead and the feedpoint is in the center with
a 1/2 twist phasing line to the other element. 330 pF caps are used at
the feedpoint for matching.

I asked whether it might not be too difficult to reverse directionality.
(there's an article in QEX about that, in general, this month).

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2nd (OT) comment:
Compared to monitoring HF ham bands back in the 70's, is it true that
more QSOs are in nets now than individual QSOs?

I am very aware of the aging of hams (myself included)...many
conversations concerning healthcare interventions.

My impression is that the HF ham bands are LESS crowded than previously
(and this seems to conflict with what I am reading in ARRL, etc.)

thanks,

John
AB8O