Old November 1st 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell John Ferrell is offline

Default two topics one OT and one not

2nd (OT) comment:
Compared to monitoring HF ham bands back in the 70's, is it true that
more QSOs are in nets now than individual QSOs?

I am very aware of the aging of hams (myself included)...many
conversations concerning healthcare interventions.

My impression is that the HF ham bands are LESS crowded than previously
(and this seems to conflict with what I am reading in ARRL, etc.)

thanks,

John
AB8O

I have felt there is less QRM now days too. When I consider my own
circumstances, I never had the Technical abilities I have now. I think
my TenTec Jupiter with its accurate tuning and variable bandwidth
makes a big difference. I have noted that most QSO's take place on 1
mhz increments, which results in informal "channelizing" of the bands.
I am usually exactly on the other fellows frequency. While there are
probably more high power stations than ever, the rigs are cleaner in
general. I would be embarrassed to key up some of the unstable HB rigs
of the past. I think a higher percentage of the Ham population is
satisfied with a decent antenna and a clean 100 watt rig. Rigs that
enforce 50 ohm transmission lines have reduced interference too.

We are making better use of the allocated Spectrum.
John Ferrell W8CCW