Old November 1st 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Oldridge Dave Oldridge is offline

Default 160 meter antenna pros and cons

"Merlin-7 KI4ILB" wrote in
:

I have 2 wire antennas that I am thinking about putting up..

#1 A long wire with the shield of the coax grounded to the tower at
the feed point with the center of the coax connected to a long wire
cut for mid band on 160.

#2 a normal dipole cut for mid band 160.

Take a dipole's worth of wire. Run it vertical for as far as you can, then
horizontal. Feed it with a quarter wave of ladder line at the bottom end.
The ground isn't too important....a 3/8" copper pipe driven in should do it.
Tune the line as balanced. Cut it for the part of the band you use the most.

The higher you bend it, the better. Halfway is probably a good compromise
between DX needs and local working.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667