Old November 2nd 06, 01:33 AM posted to aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur
atec77 atec77 is offline

Default Icom 208H 'optional extras'...

Jeßus wrote:
Picked up a 208H yesterday. Nice rig all round, especially if space is an
issue. I'm quite impressed with the receiver, also a healthy 50W on UHF
doesn't hurt. You get a reasonable length separation cable for the
controller, BUT the mic cable is only about a metre long and connects
to the main body of the radio, so basically you cannot remote mount the
main unit any real distance. Why bother supplying a decent length cable
for head but not for the mic makes no sense to me.

The other thing is no bracket supplied for the controller/remote head...
Of course, you can buy these things as 'optional extras', and presumably
pay right through the nose for them too.

I tried velcro for mounting the head, however its just a tad too heavy
to be reliable. Looking at the OEM bracket, it ain't much at all, and in
fact uses velcro to secure to the head. If I had the appropriate tools
(which I don't) it would be pretty easy to fabricate one. I'll keep my
eyes open, something should come along that'll suit.

Anyway, I was thinking why not use ordinary CAT5 or similar for the mic
cable and/or the separation cable? Has anyone done this, and if so a
wiring diagram?

Failing any of the above, if you know of any aftermarket equivalents for
any of the above, also for the data cable, please spill the beans... most
appreciated

I suspect you will need a decent shielded cable for an extended mike
cable , although cat5/6 foil wrap and some .001 caps might do it ?.