Old November 2nd 06, 12:09 PM posted to aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur
Brian 2W0BDW Brian 2W0BDW is offline

Default Icom 208H 'optional extras'...

"Brian 2W0BDW" wrote in message

Anyway, I was thinking why not use ordinary CAT5 or similar for the mic
cable and/or the separation cable? Has anyone done this, and if so a
wiring diagram?

I have done this to my IC2800 with no problems whatsoever. the radio is
with the spare wheel and the mic plugs into a socket mounted in the dash
with the cable (CAT5) being routed around the car.

Also I have extended the display lead in a similar way (but due to not
having a 6 way plug/socket for the dispaly out came the 'iron and
heatshrink and more CAT5) again no problems and due to the fact that I
couldn't be bothered to measure, the cables are long enough to mount the
radio in the back of a huge camper and still use it from the front seat!

Sillybilly I missed out the important 'wiring diagram':

use a test meter on ohms or a continuity tester to cheeck that:

pin 1 (plug) goes to pin 1 (socket)
pin 2 (plug) goes to pin 2 (socket).......................................
.................................................. .)
pin 8 (plug) goes to pin 8 (socket)
This will give a 'straight through' extension.

The socket I used was a wall mounted type, which I adapted to suit the
fitting space available in the car, and the wires connected via IDC on the
back .

I have HEARD of people using CAT5 patchlead and gender changer (double
socket) but not tried it. I just used/adapted what I had in my 'junk box'

If in doubt and near Cardiff let me know, I have loads of CAT5 cable. I'm
sure we could 'hook something up!'
All the best