Old November 2nd 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Denny Denny is offline

Default Phasing Verticals

Short answer, no...
Long answer, yes...

And I cannot do a long answer justice here on a forum such as this...
Perhaps W7EL or W2DU will jump in here and rescue me...
The major issue you face is that the towers are shunt loaded which
creates phase differences between the two right from the git-go, even
when both are resonated... The fact that the feed points of the two
towers are initially out of phase needs to be tuned out in setting up
the 90 degree total phase difference...

Certainly it can be done... You will need to measure the input
impedence and reactance for each tower as built...It will take a
pick-up coil on each tower fed to an oscilloscope so that you can see
the phase difference as you adjust the phasing network / phasing lines
to reach the desired 90 degrees phase lag on the leading element...
Read W7EL's contribution to the ARRL Antenna Handbook on the subject of
properly phasing lines / antennas... This will give you enough
information to decide if you want to proceed...

I long ago decided life is too short for designing all driven arrays
when I can build, install, and tune, parasitic arrays in less time than
it takes me to work the equations for designing the needed phasing
networks for a driven array...

denny / k8do