Old November 2nd 06, 10:19 PM posted to aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur
Jeßus Jeßus is offline

Default Icom 208H 'optional extras'...

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 12:09:14 +0000, Brian 2W0BDW proclaimed:

"Brian 2W0BDW" wrote in message
Anyway, I was thinking why not use ordinary CAT5 or similar for the mic
cable and/or the separation cable? Has anyone done this, and if so a
wiring diagram?

I have done this to my IC2800 with no problems whatsoever. the radio is
with the spare wheel and the mic plugs into a socket mounted in the dash
with the cable (CAT5) being routed around the car.

Also I have extended the display lead in a similar way (but due to not
having a 6 way plug/socket for the dispaly out came the 'iron and
heatshrink and more CAT5) again no problems and due to the fact that I
couldn't be bothered to measure, the cables are long enough to mount the
radio in the back of a huge camper and still use it from the front seat!

Sillybilly I missed out the important 'wiring diagram':

use a test meter on ohms or a continuity tester to cheeck that:

pin 1 (plug) goes to pin 1 (socket)
pin 2 (plug) goes to pin 2 (socket).......................................
.................................................. )
pin 8 (plug) goes to pin 8 (socket)
This will give a 'straight through' extension.

Thanks very much Brian, most appreciated. I'm assuming the above wiring
is for the mic? it's good to see that it is all quite straightforward and
obviously can handle pretty long lengths too.

The socket I used was a wall mounted type, which I adapted to suit the
fitting space available in the car, and the wires connected via IDC on
the back .

I have HEARD of people using CAT5 patchlead and gender changer (double
socket) but not tried it. I just used/adapted what I had in my 'junk
box'

Yes, I was thinking about a gender changer or similar so that I can still
have the original lead connected to the HM-133 mic.

If in doubt and near Cardiff let me know, I have loads of CAT5 cable.
I'm sure we could 'hook something up!' All the best

Thanks very much for the offer Brian, alas I am not anywhere near
Cardiff - in fact I'm not even in the same hemisphere - thanks again for
all the help

--
/J/