Old November 2nd 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
[email protected] nobody@nowhere.com is offline

Default Icom 208H 'optional extras'...

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 12:01:11 +1100, Jeßus
wrote:

Picked up a 208H yesterday. Nice rig all round, especially if space is an
issue. I'm quite impressed with the receiver, also a healthy 50W on UHF
doesn't hurt. You get a reasonable length separation cable for the
controller, BUT the mic cable is only about a metre long and connects
to the main body of the radio, so basically you cannot remote mount the
main unit any real distance. Why bother supplying a decent length cable
for head but not for the mic makes no sense to me.

The other thing is no bracket supplied for the controller/remote head...
Of course, you can buy these things as 'optional extras', and presumably
pay right through the nose for them too.

I tried velcro for mounting the head, however its just a tad too heavy
to be reliable. Looking at the OEM bracket, it ain't much at all, and in
fact uses velcro to secure to the head. If I had the appropriate tools
(which I don't) it would be pretty easy to fabricate one. I'll keep my
eyes open, something should come along that'll suit.

Anyway, I was thinking why not use ordinary CAT5 or similar for the mic
cable and/or the separation cable? Has anyone done this, and if so a
wiring diagram?

Failing any of the above, if you know of any aftermarket equivalents for
any of the above, also for the data cable, please spill the beans... most
appreciated

I'm using a standard Cat5 cable you'd use for your computer. Don't
use a crossover cable as it won't work and just might wipe something
out on the radio. I put in a 6 foot cable and it works just fine.
The only problem is that it slides all over the place as the cat5
cable is smooth.

One thing really nice with this radio is it has narrow fm and 500
memories. I just used the bracket it comes with and put velcro on the
bottom of it. Got it stuck to the front of my dashboard.

Its a great radio.