Old November 3rd 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Somebody Somewhere Somebody Somewhere is offline

Default OT - HDTV NTSC/ATSC/QAM

OK, I know this is OT, but I'm going crazy surfing google trying to
find a straight answer, and I figure someone in this NG probably knows
the answer.

I'm shopping for an LCD TV. It will be fed via my local cable system. I
do not currently subscribe to digital cable, just the normal analog
stuff on the normal "cable ready" frequencies. I understand that all
analog TV will be going away in a few years so obviously I should buy a
TV that already has built-in digital signal reception capability via
cable input. Some of the TVs on the market have different combinations
of NTSC tuners and/or ATSC tuners and/or QAM tuners. I know ATSC is for
off-the-antenna analog channels, but which built-in tuner(s) must my TV
have to receive the current analog cable channels, the upcoming digital
signals from local stations (presumably available via cable), and any
digital cable channels?

Help!