Old November 3rd 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Doug Smith W9WI Doug Smith W9WI is offline

Default OT - HDTV NTSC/ATSC/QAM

Somebody Somewhere wrote:
cable input. Some of the TVs on the market have different combinations
of NTSC tuners and/or ATSC tuners and/or QAM tuners. I know ATSC is for
off-the-antenna analog channels, but which built-in tuner(s) must my TV
have to receive the current analog cable channels, the upcoming digital
signals from local stations (presumably available via cable), and any
digital cable channels?

ATSC: off-the-antenna *digital* channels. Also works on *some* digital
cable systems.

NTSC: off-the-antenna *analog* channels. Also works with analog cable.
(but not scrambled/premium channels)

QAM: for many (most?) digital cable systems.

If you get a cable box from the cable company then the tuner is
irrelevant - the cable box *is* the tuner. You connect it to the TV
with component or HDMI cables and bypass the TV's tuners altogether.
Likewise for satellite. Though if you have a decent antenna available
you might be able to use off-the-antenna ATSC digital reception for your
locals for better picture quality and to save a few $$$. (you might
also get a few channels that way that aren't on cable)

The end-of-analog mandate applies only to off-the-antenna broadcasts;
cable systems are not required to force all their customers to digital.
I'm sure a NTSC-only TV will work with cable for a long time to come.

ATSC tuners are required by law in newer TVs above a certain screen
size. The mandate is gradually phased in. Eventually *all* new TVs
will be required to have ATSC tuners.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66