Old November 4th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Phasing Verticals

Tom Ring wrote:

Hint hint Roy. There are a lot of us out here that use only, or almost
only, Linux.

The "lot" comprises about 5% of the total market at the outside. Are you
willing to pay 20 times as much for EZNEC as Windows users?

That being said, is anyone running EZNEC under WINE?

At last report, EZNEC won't run under Wine. Wine malfunctions a couple
of places when attempting to run EZNEC, although I think I could
probably work around them. (Of course, there's always the danger that an
update or upgrade would break the program again, since there's no way I
know of to find out which Windows functions Wine emulates correctly and
which it doesn't.) I won't, however, make any attempt to work around the
Wine problems until Wine is able to open the manual, which it is wasn't
able to do at the last report I got. The manual was created with
RoboHelp, a popular help authoring tool, and there isn't any way for me
to work around Wine's inability to read it. If and when anyone reports
that Wine has advanced to where it's able to open the manual (EZW4.hlp),
I'll look again at the possibility of finding workarounds to Wine's
other problems with EZNEC.

EZNEC works fine under at least one Mac emulator, SoftWindows.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL