Old January 25th 04, 03:04 PM
Henry Kolesnik

I believe lightning struck my chimney and took out the lawn sprinkler
control system and a couple of appliances. After a while I found the
reason. The clamp on the ground rod for the house ground wire had
disintegrated and I think the disintigration was caused by galvanic action.
I just replaced with awhat I thought was a better one and the new one didn't
corrode.
73
hank wd5jfr
"Thierry" To answer me in private use
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/post.htm wrote in message
Hi,

Was your house/shack stroken by Thor's hammer, I mean a lightning recently

?
I am interested in your experience...

If your installaiton was damaged by a strike event, I would like to now if

:
- you used a central ground point bonded to an external grounding system,

as
well as the home ground.
- you left some gears switched on during the strike event
- you left the TX switched on and the coaxial plugged without protection
- you installed or not lightning controllers in your electric distribution
panel
- you had installed another protection
- you swicthed off and unplugged all devices
- you think that the energy came back via the grounding network (probably
dut to a difference of potential in a device)

Tell me only in a few words what was the most probable cause of the
accident.

At last, if you master the subject, do you really think that a grounding
system, as best it could be as the advice provided by PolyPhaser for
example, will never protect you against a direct strike on your antenna or
on the house lightning conductor
Why ?

All this will help me to conclude the article dealing with this matter :
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/qsl-...protection.htm

Thanks in advance

NB. Answer preferably through these forums to please everybody.

Thierry
ON4SKY