Old January 25th 04, 05:56 PM
Thierry

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
I believe lightning struck my chimney and took out the lawn sprinkler
control system and a couple of appliances. After a while I found the
reason. The clamp on the ground rod for the house ground wire had
disintegrated and I think the disintigration was caused by galvanic

action.
I just replaced with awhat I thought was a better one and the new one

didn't
corrode.

Indeed, without care the binding between two metals is always "at risk".
Polyphaser and other grounding kit manufacturers provide products to prevent
this kind of corrosion, including coating for anchor guys (like Anchor
Guard).

Thierry

73
hank wd5jfr
"Thierry" To answer me in private use
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/post.htm wrote in message
Hi,

Was your house/shack stroken by Thor's hammer, I mean a lightning

recently
?
I am interested in your experience...

If your installaiton was damaged by a strike event, I would like to now

if
:
- you used a central ground point bonded to an external grounding

system,
as
well as the home ground.
- you left some gears switched on during the strike event
- you left the TX switched on and the coaxial plugged without protection
- you installed or not lightning controllers in your electric

distribution
panel
- you had installed another protection
- you swicthed off and unplugged all devices
- you think that the energy came back via the grounding network

(probably
dut to a difference of potential in a device)

Tell me only in a few words what was the most probable cause of the
accident.

At last, if you master the subject, do you really think that a grounding
system, as best it could be as the advice provided by PolyPhaser for
example, will never protect you against a direct strike on your antenna

or
on the house lightning conductor
Why ?

All this will help me to conclude the article dealing with this matter :
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/qsl-...protection.htm

Thanks in advance

NB. Answer preferably through these forums to please everybody.

Thierry
ON4SKY