Old November 4th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein Al Klein is offline

Default Modifying Old Crystal-Tuned Scanners

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 23:44:26 GMT, "Chris F."
wrote:

I recently bought a bunch of old base scanners, mostly some early Uniden
Bearcat models from the late 70's. I didn't realize that these were
crystal-tuned units, and now I'm stuck with them. I was wondering if there's
any way to modify them to be adjustable. Perhaps an extra circuit employing
8 simple oscillators with adjustments, connected to the 8 crystal sockets?
There must be a way to do this......

You could build a synthesizer. You'd need a CPU also, to control it,
and some RAM to keep the frequencies you want to monitor. Some ROM to
keep the firmware.

Or you could buy a Uniden 996 for a lot less money.