Old November 5th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] r2000swler@hotmail.com is offline

Default Good speaker for radio

I stopped by the local GoodWill (thrift) store last night and picked up
a pair
of JBL "ProPerformers" I think the model is J225.

These likely were part of a dolby 5.1 system. No bass below ~100Hz, and
the highs stop between 7 and 8K.

I have been using a pair of Minimus 7s with a switch to kill the
tweeter.
I don't really need ~10KHz response for radio reception.

The JBLs required about 20% more power for the same perceived SPL.

During todays RSH reception I ABed between a JBL and a Minimus with the
tweeter turned off and a H pad added to keep the levels the same. The
JBLs
are better for very weak signals. For arm chair copy the Minus 7s are
better.
I can't do any real tests as my radio room is a mess.

For the $4 I paid these are a steal. For PC audio editing, especially
music
the JBLs don't cut it. So I guess I will end up with 2 sets of speakers
in
my radio room. My audio chain is going to be as complicated as my
antenna
chain.

Early this morning I had to run over to my parents and I used one JBL
with my IC28A and it would make a good speaker for mobile use.

I like good speakers and like them even more when they are cheap!

Terry