Old November 6th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
[email protected] sailtamarack@yahoo.ca is offline

Default Dead Yaesu ft-890 Help!

Steve,

I asuume by "won't power up" you mean completely dead - no lights
meters etc.

The FT-890 uses an external power supply. Are you using the Yaesu
FP-800 Power Supply or another supply? The manual warns users about
reversing the power input leads!!

Try the following:

1. Check the power supply leads to see if you have 13.8 volts. You
will need a digital volt meter but these are pretty cheap at Radio
Shack or your local hardware store. Disconnect the supply from the
receiver and record the voltage.

2. Even if you have 13.8 volts the supply may not be able to provide
enough current if it is defective. Check it with an automobile light
bulb. This will show if there is enough current to power the receiver.
Record the voltage with the light on - still around 13.8V??

3. Reconnect the power supply and measure the voltage as you turn the
power on and off. Any change? If everything is OK so far the power
supply is OK

4. If your meter has an amp scale put the meter to the amps range (2
amps or more). Disconnect the red lead only (leave black attached)
and put the meter in series. (one probe to the red lead and one to the
+ output of power suply). Measure the current with radio power switch
on. Any current flowing?? If you get nothing at all you may have a
loose power connection internally in the radio, a defective power
switch or unfortunately an internal power circuit problem.

Are you confident enough to open the unit and poke around with your
meter??

Good luck - Roger

Steve wrote:
Went to fire up the Yaesu Ft-890 and it won't power up. I have power to the
radio but pushing the power button does nothing.
Used it a few days ago and everything was fine. There was no storm here so
it didn't get zapped.
Is there some kind of fuse inside this radio?
I have limited electronic knowledge, so is there something I can check that
may be a common failure to this rig that I might be able to do?
Bought it on ebay last year and its been flawless, but to me its not worth a
few hundred to ship it out to be fixed.