Old November 7th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

Default Whip Antenna Formula

"John Smith" wrote in
:

"A. Pismo Clam" wrote in
message ...
Hello All,

I have just found my old Hi-Gain mobile-mount whip antenna, circa
1980's, I'm guessing.

I have just looked at the antenna and it is made in 4 parts; the
whip, the chrome spring that the whip gets screwed into, a metal tube
[with a plastic sleeve covering it. could this be the loading coil?]
and lastly, the mag base. A small quantity of RG 58 is soldered to
the underside of the "loading coil", making a very compact antenna.

If I loosen the set screw in the base and pull out the whip, it is
28" long; I'd like to cut it so that it will receive/resonate center
of the 151-174 MHz band. where I do most of my summer monitoring,
using my old [but still working] BC 210.

How long should I cut the whip to accomplish this? Or is the whip too
short already!?

I wouldn't bother the group with such an easy question, but I don't
know where to look for the formula!

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain

Beg, borrow a swr meter! Extend/lower radiator between tests to find
lowest swr...

JS

That would work, assuming he has a transmitter in the 150-170 VHF
range he could use as an RF source.

Ed