Old November 8th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Handheld transeiver

Hi all,
KB8HVF here. I am a grandfathered novice, but very new to the ham
radio world. My father decided to bring me along to all of the ham
classes for the novice level when I was thirteen. I took the test, and
passed the exam, but have since dealt with anything remotely related to
ham radio. I recently took an interest in listening to aircraft
communications at KRDU, and decided this would be a good reason to go
ahead and pursue the tech license. Last night I took the exam and
passed. As Christmas is upon us, everyone is hounding me about what I
would like as a gift. I thought a small handheld would be nice to keep
with me to listen and talk to the other hams in my area. I have been
looking at kenwood's equipment, specifically their TH-D7AG and TH-F6A
models. I also like ICOMs products specfically their battery life (if
they have a radio with tri-band let me know). What strikes me as
intersting is the APRS function the kenwood TH-D7AG has, but the TH-F6A
has the tri band capability. As I have said, one of my interests is
listening to air traffic ( know i don't need a license to do this . I
also enjoy hiking and camping (sounds like a date ad in the paper), and
thought the APRS feature would be nice to have in a radio. If anyone
can help me narrow down my choices that would be great.
Thanks,
Kevin