Old November 8th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
snoopy snoopy is offline

Default Sony 7600gr newbie questions

"jamman" wrote

Is there any difference between using a power cord and using batteries?

The proper power supply for Sony radios are expensive - $100. (I have one)
In my experience using both batteries and the Sony power supply, the power
supply is excellent.

In trying to boost reception on my first radio, I relied on a longwire
antenna. Can this be used to boost the AM reception on the 7600gr too?

No.
For shortwave consider the Sony AN-LP1 antenna. Highly recommended but
currently hard to find.

Or are there better suggestions for an antenna -- if one is even
suggested.

I use a the Terk AM Advantage loop with excellent results.
Cradle the 7600GR inside the Terk loop.

Any quirks that I should be aware of also would be greatly appreciated.

None. It is the best portable shortwave receiver in its class, period.