Old November 9th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Handheld transeiver

Hi Bob,
Well the APRS really isn't that important. I feel it would be more of
a toy that I would tire of really fast. As for what is important to
me, I am too new to really have any idea of what I might consider
important. This is also something I am trying to figure out Sorry
for the ignorance.
Thanks a lot
Bob Bob wrote:
Hi Kevin

Congrats!

What to get is always a hard choice.

My personal view (probably very different from many others) is that
newer radios are actually worse off than older models in many cases. The
move towards a single RF broadband design with CPU/software selected
frequencies tends to make them more prone to interference (selectivity
issues). The manufacturers answer to these issues is then to often
reduce sensitivity or make a big thing about DCS! If I was looking at a
new device I would carefully sort through the RF performance specs
first. My rule of thumb is that if it hasn't got a few RF front end
(helical) cavities it isn't worth buying!

I'd suggest that if you are looking for something new, rank what
features are important to you and look up user reviews when you get a
shorter lost. You may end up having to make a choice based on features
rather than RF performance.

Personally I'd take an old IC202 (SSB txcv) on a camping trip if there
were no nearby rptrs. If I wanted FM I'd go for the old IC2A with a home
made PA. Both these radios are really low on DC power consumption.

Is APRS really that important to you whilst portable? A cheap laptop and
a sound card interface will also work well if you don't mind the extra
weight!

Apologies for not being specific.

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA

Kevin wrote: