Old November 9th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Joel Kolstad Joel Kolstad is offline

Default FCC took 11 meters from Hams and gave it to CB'ers.

"larya" wrote in message
ups.com...
Second... I also think you will find that the fcc, and in my country
the IC, are deeply regretting the conversion of 11 meters to 'cb'.

I hope not. The FCC providing unlicensed spectrum for the masses was one of
the smartest thing they ever did! Yes, it leads to all sorts of horrible
operating practices, but CB and -- more contemporarily -- FRS/GMRS and WiFi
had provided *huge* benefits for people (and many millions of dollars in
equipment sales) nationwide. I'd hate to live in a country where there's no
such thing as a license-free $20 pair of FRS-type walkie talkies or $20 WiFi
cards for high-speed Internet access.

Virtually all of our bad radio operating procedures, of all radio
services, can all be traced back to the bad operating technique found
in the 11 meter cb band....

I'd say they can be traced back to human nature. People were rowdy and
"uncouth" in, say, taverns for thousands of years before CB came along.

---Joel